Friday, April 10, 2009

First of all, shocked, is all I can say...

Yesterday was all but expected.
We seriously had no idea that we were to be chosen to advance in UIL One Act Play for Regional Competition. But incredibly, we compelled the judge for the night of our interpretation of "The Rimers of Eldritch" by Lanford Wilson.


After our performance, around 6 p.m., our sound technician and I headed backstage to help the rest of the crew and cast place all of our props back so the next performing play, Burgess(in which they will be accompanying us to Regionals also, for their winning achievements.), could set their props for their performance. This time after our performance, I was all but confident, I almost certainly knew that my lights were all but perfect.

Because I was in a state of anxiety, it was hard to see and even do my job right. My nerves were so infectious to my body that I almost began to cry. Everyone, including parents, were consoling me, telling me that it was the best performance of the year, that it was truly realistic and believable. Yeah; they were talking all about the cast, and don't get me wrong, they were genuinely amazing. Even I, who have witnessed the play countless number of times, had to take a minute to absorb the great acting skills that were shown that night from our cast.

After a while, I began to calm myself down and just enjoy the night, I somewhat did. That goal wasn't fully accomplished because we had many thoughts that:
1. we were done for.
2. not to be cocky, but this was the last year that our directors had a winning chance with a big cast and crew.
3. as my last year at Riverside High School, we weren't advancing.
4. as my last year, this may be almost last chance that I'll be able to be in an actual theatre competition and in theatre alone; and be surrounded by the people I truly admire and love.

By the time that awards were up to be announced, almost all of us were accepting the fact that we were up against two other schools that had better acting, lighting, sound, costumes, than us. That we didn't stand a chance. That they have fooled the judge so well into believing their little quirk of a show. A concept that we thought we knew that we didn't achieve.

But the true quirk of fate, was ours. In shocking surprise, the contest manager announced our name in one of two advancing plays. We also took home the best actress award, three all-star cast awards and three honorable mention awards. After awards, we were up for critique by the judge. When the judge came up to us, she made notice that we verily compelled her with our show. That we weren't the ones fooling her into believing our show, she was the one fooling us, at the beginning, making us believe that our show was an unacceptable excuse of a play.

We all went home with proud bodies of mind remembering the stand innovation from known friends and family after our performance.
But what we needed, was to give ourselves our own stand innovation, and realize the extraordinary job last night, a part from the other plays.
"The difference between ordinary and extraordinary, is that little extra."

and I speak for all of us there:
Last of all, shocked, is all I can say...

1 comment: